The Langley School is a coeducational preschool through grade 8 day school located in McLean, Virginia. Founded upon a deep respect for childhood and an abiding belief in the necessity and power of parent/teacher partnership, The Langley School offers an exceptional community and an individually attuned academic program. Since children’s social and emotional acuity is seen as critical to their academic success, the school intentionally nurtures both in equal measure. The school graduates uncommonly optimistic, grounded, poised, and kind learners and thinkers, and currently enrolls a diverse and talented student body of 475 students. Langley is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and the Virginia Association of Independent schools (VAIS), through which the school is accredited.
The chief financial officer (CFO) provides oversight, leadership, and stewardship of all aspects of The Langley School’s financial resources, promoting best practices in finance and administration, while ensuring absolute institutional integrity in fiscal matters. The CFO is responsible for the overall financial health of the organization, as well as the oversight of facilities, transportation and security, and construction projects. Reporting directly to the head of school, the CFO serves as an essential strategic partner to the head of school and her administrative team and is a significant contributor to advancing the mission and strategic direction of the school. It is an exciting time to join in this effort, as the school is poised to launch a significant capital and endowment campaign, as well as celebrate its 75th anniversary in the coming year.
In addition to supporting Langley’s mission, advancing the strategic plan of the school and supporting the school’s leadership, including the Board of Trustees, the CFO has the following responsibilities:
- Ensure the overall financial health of the organization’s $15 million budget and management of the Business Office operations, including oversight of all accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, budget management and monitoring, payroll processing, and cash management.
- Oversee financial policies, procedures, and internal controls to safeguard assets, protect confidential information, and ensure accurate financial reporting and accounting practices.
- Maintain a relationship with the school’s investment advisor to ensure management of the $12 million in the school’s endowment and reserves account is in compliance with the guidance and decisions of the Investment Committee.
- Provide transparent financial reporting and planning that builds trust among all school constituents.
- Create and maintain the school’s short- and long-term strategic financial models and metrics.
- Manage the controller, staff accountant, facilities manager, director of transportation and security, director of information technology, database administrator, and school nurse.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Finance, Investment, Audit, and Physical Facilities Committees of the Board of Trustees, working closely with committee chairs and the head of school to organize agendas and meeting materials/data and to create minutes.
- Prepare data and analysis for the Board of Trustees’ monthly meetings, including working with the controller to ensure the quarterly financials are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure the annual fiscal year-end financial audit is complete by working with external auditors during both the preliminary and field work time periods each year and delegating appropriate work flow for the field work deliverables with the accounting staff.
- Work with the controller to prepare data required for the annual IRS Form 990 filing, including working with the Development Office as needed.
- Work with external auditors on completion of the annual Form 5500 and related 403(b) Plan audit in conjunction with the director of human resources.
- Collaborate with the director of human resources on employment-related items as needed.
- Work with the school’s bank and Finance Committee to monitor and examine debt structure, including examination of debt as a source of funding for future construction projects and maintenance of debt covenants.
- Provide guidance to the head of school on risk-related matters and establish plans to monitor and manage various types of risk.
- Work with the school’s insurance agency to ensure appropriateness of all insurance coverage and the related premium costs.
Facilities & Security:
- Oversee facilities on The Langley School campus which includes 10 buildings and 128,000 finished square feet on approximately 10 acres.
- Oversee the physical plant, grounds, and construction functions with the director of facilities and help plan and direct all replacement and maintenance of the physical plant.
- Work with the school’s land use attorneys as needed on questions related to zoning in Fairfax County and the school’s Special Exception.
- Work with the director of transportation and security on bus/transportation items, as well as security updates, as needed.
- Publicly represent the school in a positive and proactive way, collaborating and cultivating relationships with neighbors and local officials.
- Provide oversight over future construction projects as part of the school’s Master Plan.
- Work with the construction contract attorney to create RFPs for related projects and manage the detailed negotiation process for the AIA contracts for both the general contractor and the architects.
- Alongside the Physical Facilities Committee and head of school, work with architects and civil engineers during all phases of future projects, including the design development phase, and work to ensure compliance with the school’s Special Exception Plat during the site plan approval process.
- Participate in weekly construction project meetings with the general contractor, architects, and civil engineers during related construction. Keep the head of school and physical facilities chair apprised of key issues.
- Provide support to the Board of Trustees and head of school on matters related to the Master Plan.